The Winter People

The Winter People - Rebekah L. Purdy

Thank you to Entangled Publishing for providing me with an egalley copy of this book to review.

I'll get right to the verdict this time: this book happened to be another case (in my opinion) of a somewhat misleading summary and one that just wasn't for me. It took some time to put my finger on what exactly I didn't like, and it ended up being mostly a case of the fact that the writing didn't click with me, but also that the plot didn't satisfy me completely as a reader.

True to the summary, Salome is a girl who fears winter and who must complete chores for her grandparents when they leave for the winter. It's difficult to write a character, especially one that's a teenager, that is somewhere between overly uptight and ridiculously obnoxious and would, at the same time, be one that the reader can relate to and sympathize with. I didn't have this with Salome. I often found myself muttering under my breath in frustration when she'd freak out because of the voices, telling the her to calm down through the screen and stop drawing so much attention to herself. She contradicted some of my own personal traits and, understandably, that often creates conflict between reader and writing. But then you also have her best friend who was even more obnoxious and the gap between the characters and I just grew.

On top of that throw in a love triangle that has three boys and Salome in the middle, throwing herself at each one of them at least once in the story. The story was predictable, to be honest, but I was at least left satisfied with which one of them she ended up with in the end (no spoilers!). The identity of Nevin was pretty straight forward, considering he appeared in the winter and appeared to dislike it so much, and the story itself reminded me of Beauty and the Beast, to a degree, or more specifically the 2006 movie "Penelope" in terms of the plot. Except this version was much more stretched and felt much less impressive. I feel like the pacing could've been changed and the ending could've been made "juicier", rather than having it all resolved in a matter of...two chapters? And then I was left wondering whether the situation with Salome's dad would just be left hanging there, considering what happened to him and how there was a spell involved in that case.

This book will work more for people who enjoy suspense (that is a tad bit too long and not that suspense-full), and a pretty straight forward, common cast of characters and romantic tangle of relations. It wasn't for me. The bone structure was there but there could've been more substance. It ended up being a nice quick read in the car while waiting at the border to cross over to the US, but was rather forgettable by the time I sat down to write this review a day after I finished the book. I hope this book finds its audience as I'm sure there will be people who'll love it. For me, it sadly didn't work.