Solaris Rising 3: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction

Solaris Rising 3: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction - Ian Whates

Thank you to Rebellion for providing me with a copy of the book to review.

I think this is the first anthology I have ever picked up where I can honestly say that I found something in every single story that I enjoyed, even if I didn’t enjoy the actual story itself as much – in the latter case there were only 2 I didn’t really like, so that’s a record! Reading the praise about the other two books as well as the summary for this one I, admittedly, had rather high standards for what I expected to find inside, and I definitely wasn’t disappointed in that sense.

Each of the stories inside was selected with great purpose and fits perfectly into the book. The sheer variety of stories that are sci-fi really opened up my eyes as a reader as to how diverse the genre really is and how many different interpretations and visions there are to it, beyond the stereotypical ones that people tend to name off the top of their heads.

The biographies of the authors at the beginning of their stories was a wonderful touch. It helped create an understanding about who the author is and also provide a quick overview of their other works for those who are interested.

What I can definitely say about these stories without spoiling anything is that each one had the element of surprise, the turning point where you realize there’s a loophole or the story won’t go in the same direction/towards the same ending as you expected, for example like in “Double Blind” by Tony Ballantyne or “The Science of Chance” by Nina Allan, both of which were probably my favourites in the anthology. The whole book reminded me of the slogan “Taste’s good, good for you” that was used to market some cereal several years ago on tv, primarily because this book follows the same concept. It’s a wonderfully edited book that shows some of THE BEST the sci-fi genre has to offer with memorable characters, worlds that are both far off and close & familiar, and just other kick-ass details like talking battleships and sunset-colored seas. A highly recommended read for anyone that either loves the genre or wants to give it a try; this isn’t a book you want to pass by. And another brownie point?: it’s an example of a book with a synopsis that doesn’t lie!