The Door in the Mountain

The Door in the Mountain - Caitlin Sweet

Another book that I chose from the Read Now section, and another disappointment. I ended up dropping this one at 38%.

I’m familiar with the myth of the Minotaur, of King Minos and princess Ariadne and the labyrinth, and I think I understand that the author was trying to give a back story to the well-known myth, to make it even more relatable and create a whole new level of understanding. Sadly this wasn’t the case at all.

There were too many characters to keep track of, and some which were so poorly introduced that it got easier as I kept reading to mix them all together into one giant blob. Ariadne is a pain of a character. It’s her job, yes, to be that unpleasant, but to have one that’s so poorly written and flat only adds more agony to the reading. The characters also weren’t really described that well so they remained faceless shadows on the page of the book. Perhaps it was later explained in the book about Icarus and the servant girl and everyone else, but I couldn’t get that far. It was very difficult to get into the story and reading was a difficult task. It was easy for the eyes to skip words, sentences, even paragraphs, and the general gist of the story would still be still understandable. I know the Greeks had a huge thing about the gods and believing in them and bearing children for them but the queen and the rest of the cast were just aggravating in that department.

The writing style isn’t much better and leaves wanting more. The dialogue comes in chunks, alternating with a similar pattern for description, and the actual content in these chunks left more to be desired.

Perhaps this book will find its audience, but it was far too flat and messy for me to keep up with or even bother to pursue further.