Notes on the Mosquito: Selected Poems

Notes on the Mosquito: Selected Poems - Xi Chuan, Lucas Klein, Chuan XI I stumbled upon this book completely by accident while passing by the poetry section of my local bookstore. The title had caught my attention, to say the least, and I decided it would be an interesting book to read. So, as usual, I looked it up in the library, found it, and took it out.

I'm very pleased with my decision. This book was quite the refreshing thing, something I really needed after concentrating a lot in a specific area of writing for the last while and feeling like I needed something new and unexpected. This book gave me that and more. There are so many beautiful lines one may quote from this book, such as the poem that was in the format of 45 fragments, each one telling its own story. The writing style is something one doesn't come across quite often and is very raw, emotional, and real. Chuan doesn't sugarcoat nor does he exaggerate. He presents his thoughts in a very clear manner that transfers a lot of emotion to the reader. I liked a lot of the analogies he used, more specifically the large amount of Chinese cultural details that he incorporated into the book. I learned quite a bit that I didn't know about before and also had my mind open to new ideas and perspectives on several things.

I recommend this book really to anyone. Sure, it may seem like it's a little eccentric in some parts and maybe even a little too raw at others, but this kind of writing is very difficult to find in our time and once you find it it will stick with you forever. It has a charm that will captivate you if only you let it do so.