The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe

The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop & Cafe - Mary Simses Well, what can I say about this one?

I really forced myself to get to the end of this book - I could tell from about page 5 or 10 in which direction this book would go but I decided to still give it a chance, hoping it would have at least some meat and substance between the general bone structure. To my utter disappointment however there was nothing there.

Ellen's character was so snotty in the beginning and I only now started to think that perhaps Simses did this to show the reader the contrast between Ellen in the beginning and Ellen in the end. Yes, she did have a transition from being the rich, calorie-and-cholesterol-obsessed lawyer from New York who constantly thought of her soon-to-be-wedding, into a quite calm and, dare I say "normal", human being who actually had all the normal emotions and thought processes I think a person SHOULD have. However she was such a terrible character (at least for me) in the beginning that by the time her metamorphosis started I felt like my own opinion of her couldn't be reversed.

The story line is, as I said, very predictable, so much that a chapter or two should be enough to give you the general idea of what is going to happen. On this same wave, I felt neither hot nor cold about Roy's character. He was just kind of there, once again the stereotypical savior found in so many books yet appearing much more under-developed than, say, those in novels by Nicholas Sparks. Hayden was also an unpleasant character who exuded the atmosphere of someone who is rich and holding themselves as if they ran everything. The whole entourage from New York, in fact, made me grind my teeth in displeasure: stereotypical, very rich, snobby people.

There was one detail in the writing style that irked me as well, and that was how often Simses had written the title of songs and who they were sung by. Quite often in fact these sentences were even worded in a similar manner, making them even more agitating to read. I felt like she was trying to show some kind of personal knowledge in music, maybe not necessarily flaunt it, but still make it seem like she was writing the book by knowing the atmosphere and general trend of Maine or those specific types of little towns. It was very unnecessary for them to appear so often because after some point they just lost their authenticity and purpose.

I think the writer's background really intruded upon this book. I didn't feel like there was soul being put into what was on the page and, when I read her biography, was a little upset to find that she also worked in law. It felt like she was writing this book when she was already so well off and simply decided to take a crack in the writing industry, which now a days is accepting books written by practically anyone, many of which I think should not have been allowed to write even a sentence. It was a bit discouraging to see a book with so little heart in it.

So, in conclusion, if you want something along the same vein, I recommend any Nicholas Sparks novel. There have a bit more substance in them and read with more genuineness than this one. The cover is also rather misleading, as is the title, so I don't recommend judging this one by either of those two factors also. I don't regret picking this one up because it added to my experience as a reader and broadened my range and understand of what I like and don't like, where the genuine writing is, but I was honestly very disappointed with this book. I expected more.