Love in the Time of Global Warming

Love in the Time of Global Warming - Francesca Lia Block Block is one of my most favourite authors ever and I couldn't miss out on the opportunity of picking up this book. I mean, just look at that cover, that title. It's just begging to be read.

Unlike Block's other books, such as Ecstasia and Primavera and even the Weetzie Bat books, this one is less whimsical and has less flowery prose, which isn't a bad thing because I enjoy both styles of her writing, however this one feels more mature, more suitable for the topic which she chooses to address in the book.

Personally, I think this one can appeal to about anyone as long as they have an open mind. It's a very gripping, heart-warming and tear-jerking story that will really move you and make you sit and ponder the meaning even after the last page has long been turned. I enjoyed the whole queereness theme that appeared throughout the novel and that, while it did appear and was talked about, it wasn't a whole in-your-face-and-down-your-throat kind of way. Yes, the characters here are queer and one of them I hadn't really expected that from at all, but it makes them so vulnerable and real that once you find out about that aspect of them and see just they go through, it will make you root for them even more.

It was a great read. Not my favourite from Block, I will admit, but I still really loved this one, for different reasons than what made me love her other books. There is a message of warning throughout the book, room for thought and self-reflection. Pen is quite the amazing character that I think was so intriguing from start to finish, facing everything that she had and still coming out on top in the end. The three characters she meets on her travels are just as strongly willed as her and I'm so pleased with the ending because it wasn't a solid, concrete one but rather could easily be interpreted and elaborated on in the reader's mind. It's these kinds of endings that I love.

It's impossible not to love this book, or at least find something that will touch you on a personal level. Block doesn't fail her fans with yet another moving, beautiful, and gripping book that still has that touch of magic in her words that made people fall in love with her writing in the first place.