The Arrivals: A Novel

The Arrivals - Melissa Marr I cannot believe this is from the same author who wrote the Wicked Lovely series which I loved so much and have reread countless times.

This book lacks what is the skeleton of any story: a plotline. Only at about the midway point of the book do things actually start to happen. Before then the book is an intro and description if the world of the Wasteland as well as the characters themselves. These descriptions weren't enough however, I still found myself scratching my head and wondering what exactly these bloedzingers truly were, what's so amazing about Ajani, and what Chloe will bring into the story.

The first half of the book is, quite honestly, a lot of complaining and pointless dialogue between two siblings and the sister and her lover-but-not-quite-lover. There isn't really any back story to the siblings other than the brief snippets here and there about their dead parents and how Jack brings his sister to San Francisco with him. I couldn't tell what their age was, I couldn't imagine them, they were blobs that appeared in my mind as the story continued. I didn't see any real reason for Kitty to really be that aggressive or bitchy, even though I know there always are those characters who are written that way on purpose. She was unpleasant and her manner was beyond my comprehension. There was nothing to like about her, or about Jack, or about any of them, for that matter. They had nothing that distinguished them or gave them that backbone characters need. It was a shallow clipping together of characteristics and making Jack an attractive character (shocking, I know) so that when Chloe randomly pops up she will, of course, be attracted to him and almost have sex with him in the middle of the desert.

There is no plotline. The pace is hellish. When I stopped a little over halfway through the book the story still went no where, in a direction way off the chart in some direction to God knows where. There's nothing to draw the attention of the reader in this book. It was a slapped together story that I feel like only exists as an attempt to repeat the past success of Wicked Lovely and its sequels, something this book fails to o miserably. The place where I stopped reading at had me with so many questions, perhaps some of which would be answered later on in the book, but I don't have the patience or interest to wrestle with this one. The blurb on the inside of the jacket praised this book of being 'equal parts "The Matrix" and "The Wizard of Oz"" - how misleading and what a big lie. This book was nothing like those two. I don't see the point of it, I simply don't.

Where is the meaning of the tale, where are the good descriptions and engaging characters? Instead what this does have is a lot of pointless wondering, some complaining, and hardly any action. I'm really disappointed with this one, I didn't expect something so slapped together.