The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald I watched the movie before this book and of course people told me I should've read the original first because it was much better etc.

I beg to differ.

While the movie didn't follow everything according to the book I must say that it was much more lively, making me sit and question the events and people after I watched it. The book felt very flat and while it read at a pretty fast pace i wasn't engaged with the events or the characters whatsoever. I expected something more from this, especially after hearing such roaring opinions from my fellow friends and even several adults about just how amazing this book is. It just didn't work for me. To be more exact I give this a 2.5 out of 5 because it wasn't horrible yet it wasn't amazing. It was just kind of...there.

Watching the movie I felt melancholy, a tug of emotion and questions and thought-provoking ideas and moments swimming in my head, as well as an urge to rewatch it again and again. With the book I felt happy that it was a library copy that I could return and never have to pick up again. Maybe it's simply because I like seeing things play out before me in some cases rather than having to just read about it. I'm not sure.
Bottom line - I expected more than what I got, especially from such a famous writer like Fitzgerald.