Chimerascope

Chimerascope - Douglas  Smith This book is like one of those dishes you order at a restaurant or a dessert at a cafe - you need to savor it slowly, to allow every mouthful to dissolve and taste each bit of flavor. It was phenomenal.

What drew me in with this one is not just the gorgeous cover but also the title. When I was reading it in class I had people ask me what it was about because the title caught their attention. The contents of this book are, of course, the true hidden gem and I'm so surprised that this book is not hugely popular - it has so much to offer.

I'm a lover of fantasy and sci-fi, though not the kind of sci-fi that is so futuristic that I'm compelled to reach for a dictionary every couple of sentences. In several of the stories the two aspects are intertwined very well and it's a completely new level of storytelling. You get everything here, from alien species to a completely different look at the Norse gods to a romance in China during the 14th century. Each one is a totally new world that just draws you in and what I loved even more was that many, almost all, of the stories were set in Canada, specifically in Toronto. It's just a personal thing however because I find there aren't enough books that are set in Toronto which has so much ground to be tilled for the eager author.

It would be a lie if I said that I loved every single one of these stories because I didn't and that's something which happens rather rarely. But from every story there was something to pull out: a description, a character, the thought embedded into the story. Several of them made me tear up, one actually made me full on cry. Maybe I'm just a sensitive, involved reader however I don't think this wouldn't happen to a handful of other people who read this. A story a day, that's what this literary doctor prescribes. It would be an overwhelming impact if you read the whole book or even a majority of it in one day, as hard as it would be to resist that temptation. Let yourself percolate after each one and the impact will be even greater.

I could keep singing praises about this one but you really need to pick it up in order to understand what I'm talking about. If I was ever a teacher I'd definitely choose this book for my class to read, no matter how much they'd groan or refuse. It's a book anyone could read and, at least in my opinion, everyone SHOULD.