Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell I read the movie before watching the book and after reading a lot of reviews on the former was curious why many of the ratings were so low. Having enjoyed the movie and feeling very curious to see the original source I decided to pick this one up.

I faced the same situation as I had when I read The Great Gatsby after watching the movie with DiCaprio: the movie is much more energetic and successful, I found, in getting across not only the general thought of the piece but also the actions and scenes themselves that were occurring. Of course, Cloud Atlas was somewhat gory as a movie with exaggerations in terms of somewhat vulgar scenes or adding in details that I didn't find in the book. Yet this should be expected, especially since people tend to value the spectacle more than what is actually the substance before them.

While the writing is quite masterful, I cannot deny, I struggled with almost every single one of the storylines except for really Frobisher's and Sonmi's. In terms of the actual content, Sonmi was the only one who's storyline kept me engaged and I only stopped reading because it was late at night and I was sleepy. The rest of them I read during the day and had to put down the book as I found I really had to concentrate on what I was reading instead of having my eyes jump ahead to the next sentence and the next.

I won't spoil any of it and besides, there isn't much to say other than that. My one point was the I truly think the movie was more successful with its jumping and meshing of storylines, though disappointing with exaggerated gore and creating scenes not in the book. The comet shaped birthmarks each character possessed, for example, was rather downplayed, which I thought was such a key idea to what the message the first character, Adam Ewing, was getting across as he was the one who wrapped the whole story up.

Still, I enjoyed it, less than the movie but I enjoyed it nonetheless . It was a lengthy and at times bumpy storyline that could've been smoothed out, in my opinion, but I don't think this should stop anyone from giving the book a chance. It has quite a memorable thought it presents through characters that each stood out from each other but were noticeably tied in subtle ways that made them hard to part with.