Complete Stories

Complete Stories - Dorothy Parker

I am convinced Dorothy Parker is my spirit animal. She’s dark and witty and sarcastic and cruel and I loved every second of it. I had a long talk with my professor one day about several of these stories and how beautifully bitter they are, and the extent to which Parker was criticizing the role of women and society of her time. There are stories like “Mr. Durant”, which point to an irony so ridiculous it hurts. Then there are those like “A Telephone Call” which look as if they were written yesterday, that’s how relevant they still are. Others, like “Arrangement in Black and White”, point out to issues of class and racism in the 1920s yet more significantly end up pointing to the fact that many of these issues still persist today, except we have come to look at them differently (ie. we sweep them under the rug with greater confidence). They’re stories that have aged well, if at all. The details don’t matter as much as the sentiments however, for one doesn’t need to look far to see the same lovesick and sheltered women in today’s society.