Inherit the Stars

Inherit the Stars - Tessa Elwood

Thank you to Running Press for providing me with an egalley copy of the book to review.

I had high hopes for “Inherit the Stars”. The summary sounds promising, with adventure and romance awaiting right around the corner. I hoped it wouldn’t get cliché or dull, because I was looking for a fast but enjoyable read. But I ended up being more disappointed by the book than I could’ve possibly imagined.

I read this book in a few sittings over the span of several days. So why did it take me several weeks to get through it, officially? Because after one sitting I’d close the galley and not want to touch it again, always forcing myself back down to sit and read some more. It did read fast, due to the fact that there was almost nothing interesting going on, making it easy, and ridiculously tempting, to skim sections. And it didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything, especially since the initial world building was weak and the characters and plot points were difficult to follow.

I hated Asa. She is the main reason why the experience of reading this book was so painful. For a girl who shows such potential to be a strong and determined person, Asa uses both of these qualities to act rather stupidly and thus infuriatingly. Her outright blubbering about things totally out of the blue at certain moments during the story, or some of her ridiculous actions and replies regarding Wren or her situation with Lord and Lady Westlet, were what made me debate dropping this book entirely on several occasions. However, it was the hope that she would smarten up a little that kept me going, but by the end it was more like indifference that I felt in regards to her. Instead it was Eagle that I ended up forgiving slightly for his lesser but still frustrating character.

The lie which Asa and Eagle have to tell in order to explain their situation is the close second most exasperating thing about this book. It just screamed “Hunger Games” in a deafening voice, and the fact that, unlike Katniss, I felt no sympathy for Asa, that story quickly took a toll. In fact, I didn’t buy Asa and Eagle’s relationship. It reminded me of “Frozen”, in a way, where the two protagonists are in the beginning annoyed with each other yet you still know they’ll end up together in the end, but there is absolutely no naturally, gradual growth in their relationship that would demonstrate a natural shift of emotions. It was difficult to process and swallow, although I did like how Eagle managed to soften up near the end and show some of the pleasant personality which I suspect lies underneath that cold exterior.

Beyond these two I can’t comment on the other characters because, like I said, I couldn’t keep up with them. They weren’t well fleshed out and kept blatantly fighting for my attention as a reader, which I didn’t quite want to give. Which leads me to the only other thing I can comment on: the plot.

And was it a mess. The premise was initially simple enough, but throwing in all the cousins and the medichips, and the refusal to drop the dead end subject of Wren, made the story circulate in loops. I still have no idea who’s who, what the big deal about the pact or the fuel is, or why any of it is such a big deal. The cause for this is simply a confusing set up that led to a poorly executed remainder of the story. It’s difficult to be emotionally involved and care for something that you don’t completely understand.

“Inherit the Stars” would’ve been better with more time and editing, I think. The way it is right now it stacks up a lot of clichés and archetypes without giving much back in terms of engaging characters or a solidly formed plot. It’ll satisfy a reader that’s looking for a somewhat ditzy female lead that has the ‘down to earth’ vibe, or a love interest who is the ‘cold but secretly caring underneath’ kind. If Eagle was more developed, and well-rounded, that would’ve given the book another star, because I do like a natural transition to these kinds of characters. But that wasn’t present, and the frustration I felt for the rest of the book made it quite apparent that I just didn’t care.