Immortal Lycathropes

Immortal Lycanthropes - Hal Johnson

I made it to about the halfway point of the book before dropping it. I simply cannot continue, not with the build up of frustration, confusion and utter boredom that I feel from reading this.

The book, despite its promising premise, is very superficially written. The narration is inconsistent, the events jumbled and confusingly written, and the writing just too harsh for me personally. As soon as I began reading I got the idea of what the author's style is like, but after several repetitions of the word "orgy" to, I think, unnecessarily describe a bloody and gruesome battle situation, and the stressing of the fact that Myron was plain ugly, I felt uncomfortable with reading. It wasn't what I wanted to read, to be honest, and I wish that the summary on Goodreads or inside the dustcover would've somehow reflected that. It was a mad frenzy of a story where the characters were all unlikable and the plot still eluded me even at the halfway point of the book. It was when the Illumanati came into the story that I began losing my patience, and when, somewhere around page 125, where the moose told Myron about how the flying squirrel assassinated Nietzsche, that I knew I'd had enough.

From what I read, the race of immortal lycanthropes were just selfish and cowardly in a way that mimicked my opinion of the human race itself. The only definition for killing each other was because they could, because some, like the tiger, were stronger and could kill the weaker mice and other innocent or weak animal species. The idea that there was only one immortal lycanthrope of each species was cool, and the only aspect of the book that I did enjoy. But it was buried deeply under painfully written dialogue and choppy narrative, often forcing me to reread chunks because it didn't seem grammatically sound or proper.

I have no idea who this book will appeal to, honestly. Definitely the more open minded or experimentally willing reader, for starters. As for me, I got the total opposite of what I hoped for, and as much as I enjoy very fresh and "contemporary" methods of telling stories, this wasn't one of them. It was too harsh and unpleasant to read, and the characters were difficult to connect with, to say nothing of the actual story. I'm glad I picked this up from the library rather than trying to buy a copy - I would've really regretted it otherwise. And a shame, because I really was looking forward to reading it, and to seeing Teagan White's artwork, which I am a huge fan of.