The Corridor

The Corridor (The Corridor Series, Book 1) - A.N. Willis

Thank you to Allow Entertainment for providing me with an egalley of the book to review.

“The Corridor” turned out exactly the way I feared it would – a relatively enticing premise that ends up falling into the familiar framework of sci-fi story lines. Except it’s a jumble off too many things, too many lose ends, and ends up being a rollercoaster of unpredictability that ended in disappointment. The only thing that made it bearable was the fast and rather light pace that made it easy to get through.

I didn’t like Stel, no matter how much the author tried to justify her and show her to be a well-rounded character with flaws as well as strengths. She was overall bland and when it came to Cohl and Flinn, just plain desperate. I somewhat caught on with her logic towards Lissa, but otherwise she was too scattered, emotionally and in terms of her plans. None of the other characters stayed in my mind long enough to judge, apart from having very typical characteristics that weren’t fleshed out beyond their stereotypical framework, which brings me to the next point.

The main problem was mostly that the book wasn’t memorable. It’s difficult to point out individual faults because they simply didn’t stick in my mind after finishing the book. The idea of the parallel universes was interesting enough but was quickly engulfed by the common theme of the human lust for power and desire for exploration. The one thing the book DID manage to input into my brain is another reminder of just why I think the human race is so terrible, considering how the characters of this book believed they were all simply entitled to travel beyond their own worlds and spread glory and knowledge, just because they could. With that in mind it also made it difficult to sympathize with the situations the worlds found themselves in, and the threat of another Pulse elicited another “meh” reaction from me. If they’re all so selfish and feel so righteous and confident, let them do what they want, no?

I didn’t find this to be anything special, or memorable, as stated before, which is truly disappointing because the vagueness of the cover promised oh such wonders. Alas, it was not to be, and I won’t be sticking around for the next part to discover what happens. Considering the very predictable, and again typical, ending, as well as the whole tone of the book, I would assume the same style and tone will carry over into the second book and beyond, if there are any more. This was a quick and uninvolved read, something that could be compared to those small chopped pieces of radish you eat between different types of sushi in order to cleanse the palate; in short – nothing special.