Chanel Bonfire

Chanel Bonfire - Wendy Lawless

I can easily see "Chanel Bonfire" being made into a book. It's honest, emotional, dark, with a few moments of humour sprinkles here and there. And it's beautiful.

Wendy Lawless captures her own disjointed and emotional childhood by focusing on her mother's impact on herself and her sister Robin. It's obvious after a first few chapters that Georgann, Lawless' mother, is nuts and an emotional wreck, volatile and unstable. It's with this kind of knowledge that I developed a fear for her, just like the young Wendy, and whenever there was an emotional outburst or fight that occurred in the book I felt scared myself, even though there were years, pages, and ink separating me from the actual situation. It was that vivid and that terrifying. The way in which the entire story was captured, with its vibrant narrative and well-developed cast of characters, it was easy to keep turning page after page in a never-ending desire to find out what will happen next.

I love the writing as well. It read easily, not packed with very fancy or psychological thought processes or metaphors that would've taken away from the story by not fitting in with the story telling method itself. Yes there were cliches, but in this novel they felt at home and added to the ease with which the book could be read. Considering the topic that's a huge plus, because it would be difficult to feel like you're dragging yourself through such a serious book.

I loved "Chanel Bonfire". It's gritty, dark, sad, touching, and makes you feel dirty to the point where you are willing to run and take a shower. A beautiful memoir that I'm incredibly glad I've added to my personal collection.